Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Quinoa + Cranberries
(via Thug Kitchen)
What you need:
1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, halved or quartered (depending on size)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 3/4 cup water
pinch of salt
1/3 cup toasted almonds*
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (I used flat-leaf parsley because I like it better)
1/8 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
(for the dressing):
2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 teaspoon olive oil
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Toss the brussels sprouts with olive oil and roast for 20 minutes on a shallow baking pan, turning halfway through.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium pot, bring the quinoa, water, and salt to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes until the water is fully absorbed. Place the roasted sprouts and quinoa in a large serving bowl.
3. Whisk your dressing ingredients together and pour over the sprouts/quinoa. Mix well.
4. Add almonds, cranberries, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix again.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
* To toast nuts, place them in a nonstick pan over medium heat and stir frequently. When the nuts begin to brown and become fragrant, remove them to a cool dish. Be mindful--nuts burn easily and burnt nuts can ruin a dish.